These healthy Flourless Peanut Butter Zucchini Brownies are gooey, decadent, and perfectly sweet–made with only one bowl and seven ingredients! They’re free of refined sugar, flour, butter, and oil–vegan and gluten-free.
The best recipes come to me when I’m out of all the ingredients.
Raise your hand if you remember my Almond Butter Zucchini Bars from three million years ago. CRICKETS.
Over three years ago, I was out of flour and thus made said bars out of almond butter. It was quite the life-changing day. So what’s a food blogger to do when she’s out not only of flour, but also of almond butter? She uses peanut butter. Mainly because it was 10 for $10 at Kroger, but that’s besides the point.
We’re talking the drippy kind, my friends. The kind where you open in at there’s a pool of occurring oil at the top that either nauseates you or excited you.
If you’re thinking more the former, than know this. Commence the tirade!
In order to get rid of this separation, companies blast oil with hydrogen (hence the word “hydrogenated”) to make the oil solid. You may not see an oily layer on top, but you also aren’t seeing the harmful trans fat lurking in traditional peanut butter. The recommended intake of trans fat is ZERO, people. Consumption of these oils is directly correlated to the number one killer in America, heart disease. It’s so naughty in fact that its GRAS (Generally Recognized As Safe) was recently revoked by the government. Long story short, all of these oils will be removed from processed foods in the coming years.
If that’s not an incentive to avoid partially hydrogenated oil, I don’t know what is.
End rant. All I’m saying is to buy natural peanut butter. Ingredients: Peanuts. (Salt is ok, too. Yum to salt.) It is not more expensive that regular peanut butter so leave your ‘scuses at the door, por favor.
Guess what? You’re only seven ingredients away from these flourless peanut butter zucchini brownies! They may be vegan and free of gluten, flour, refined sugar, and oil, but the best part is how easy they are. One bowl. ONE BOWL. At this point it’s like who even cares how they taste?
I kid. They taste like my most decadent, moist, chocolatey dreams!
P.S. Pretty please pretend chocolate chips are healthy for a sec and apply liberally.
- ¾ cup natural peanut butter* (I used salted)
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 cup shredded zucchini (don't squeeze out water)
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed**
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- ¼ cup chocolate chips (I like mini), plus more for sprinkling
- Optional: splash vanilla extract, pinch of salt if using unsalted peanut butter
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a loaf pan with cooking spray (I used a disposable aluminum loaf pan that's a bit smaller).
- Place all ingredients except chocolate chips in a large bowl. Stir until well combined. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Dump mixture into loaf pan and use a spatula to spread evenly in pan (you can also wet your hands and pat it down). Sprinkle top with a handful of chocolate chips, if desired. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Allow brownies to completely cool (I like to refrigerate mine overnight in the pan once cool) before slicing.
- Store in an air-tight container in the refrigerator or freezer. Microwave for a few seconds before eating for those melty chocolate chips!
**Feel free to use an egg instead if you're not vegan.