Easy Healthy Zucchini Brownies are gooey, decadent, and low in sugar! Made in one bowl and so delicious. Flourless, vegan, grain free and gluten free.
The best recipes come to me when I'm out of all the ingredients. I decided my Almond Butter Zucchini Bars and Healthy Pumpkin Brownies most definitely needed a chocolate cousin, and here we are. Life is so much better for it!
You're not going to believe these are made with peanut butter and no flour. I mean it's on the verge of insane how fudgy and delicious these are.
- How to make healthy zucchini brownies
- Key ingredients
- How to grate zucchini
- Storage tips
- Can you freeze brownies?
- More healthy desserts
How to make healthy zucchini brownies
Like my Banana Brownies, I just love one bowl recipes! My pruney fingers love you forever and always.
- Grate zucchini, measure out 1 cup, and set aside.
- Make batter by whisking together peanut butter, maple syrup, vanilla, zucchini, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Spoon batter into pan and bake for 30 minutes.
- Let brownies cool before you slice and devour.
Key ingredients and substitutions
- Natural peanut butter: We want the drippy kind with peanuts and salt as the ingredients. (The kind where there's a pool of oil at the top that either nauseates or excites you.) You could also use crunchy peanut butter for extra texture. I haven't tried it but I'd guess these would work with tahini or almond butter!
- Pure maple syrup: My favorite unrefined liquid sweetener. Honey or agave would also work. You can reduce it to ¼ cup to make them even lower in sugar.
- Ground flax: This helps bind the brownies. You can replace with an egg if you're not vegan.
- Shredded zucchini: The one and only for epic zucchini brownies. Don't squeeze the water out!
- Cocoa powder: I like to use cacao, a more nutrient-dense version of cocoa powder, but any 100% unsweetened baking cocoa is great.
- Vanilla extract: To enhance the chocolate flavor.
- Baking soda: For a little rise! These brownies are still way more fudgy versus cakey.
- Chocolate chips: Semi-sweet chocolate chips for extra chocolate flavor. Costco and Trader Joe's have my favorite affordable chocolate chips.
How to grate zucchini
- First, wash zucchini and trim the ends.
- Grate unpeeled zucchini by using the large holes on a box grater. You can also use my preferred time-saving hack: the shredding attachment on the food processor!
- Measure out one cup of zucchini as all zucchini vary in size. Note that we are not squeezing the water out, which is amazing. We're relying on their natural moisture for the recipe. Use leftover zucchini in my chocolate peanut butter zucchini smoothie!
Can you freeze brownies?
Yes! I actually love these out of the freezer. They freeze well for up to 3 months. You can thaw them overnight in the fridge or defrost in the microwave.
Store leftovers in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to a week. Microwave for a few seconds before eating for those melty chocolate chips!
More healthy chocolate desserts
- One Bowl Vegan Chocolate Zucchini Banana Bread
- The Best Vegan Brownies Recipe
- Healthy Chocolate Muffins
- Vegan Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
- Healthy Hot Chocolate
Please let me know how this flourless peanut butter zucchini brownies recipe turns out for you by leaving a star rating and/or comment! Your house is about to smell soooooo good.Print
Easy Healthy Zucchini Brownies are fudgy, decadent, and low in sugar--made in 1 bowl and so delicious! Flourless, vegan, grain free and gluten free.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a loaf pan or 8x8inch baking dish with cooking spray. Brownies will be thicker with a loaf pan.
- Place all ingredients except chocolate chips in a large bowl. If your nut butter is unsalted, add ¼ tsp fine sea salt. Whisk until well combined. Fold in chocolate chips. The batter is very thick.
- Spoon mixture into loaf pan and use a rubber spatula to spread evenly in pan. Sprinkle with a handful of chocolate chips and a pinch of flaky salt. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until brownies are set and a knife comes out almost clean. If your peanut butter wasn't liquidy/drippy, they will take less time.
- Allow brownies to completely cool before slicing. Slice into 9 bars for a square pan or 10 bars for a loaf pan.
STORE: Store on the counter for up to a day and then in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to a week. Microwave for a few seconds before eating for those melty chocolate chips!
*If you don't have ground flaxseed and you're not vegan, you can substitute one egg.
Keywords: healthy zucchini brownies