Snack or dessert, these super easy and moist 100% whole grain Vegan Mocha Chip Muffins are free of flour, butter, and refined sugar!
Caffeinate yo’selffff. With MUFFIEEZZZZZ.
Warning: this post is a photo bomb of pretty pictures.
This was one of those recipes were I wasn’t sure if they’d turn out like little gems from the heavens or little hockey pucks from hell. Thank the muffin Gods that they turned out like the former.
Dare I say I was getting a bit tired of my vegan chocolate banana muffins? Maybe “tired” is the wrong word. I just wanted something a bit diff. And with a bit of pep in their muffin step. Hence, coffee. And chocolate. Because the answer to any question that involves chocolate is always a resounding YASSSS.
I kid. Almond meal!
Because grains are so last Thursday.
Almond meal is just finely ground almonds. It’s fabulous to bake with because the healthy fats create a more moist end product without having to use a bunch of oil. Almonds are also much lower in carbohydrates and higher in plant-powered protein than wheat flour. My standard muffin recipe uses a blend of almond meal and oat flour, which lightens up the muffs a bit. It’s like your eating almonds and oats but actually you’re nomming on a dream muffin.
I usually get my almond meal at Trader Joe’s where it’s super cheap. It can cost a pretty penny at traditional grocery stores but this one is my fave.. When in doubt, just make your own by finely grinding almonds in the food processor.
I think you should make all six recipes and call it a meal. Sounds like #balance to me.
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 8 large medjool dates, pitted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp coffee grounds
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 cup oat flour (certified gluten-free if necessary)
- ⅓ cup old fashioned oats (certified gluten-free if necessary)
- 3 tbsp coconut sugar
- 3 tbsp cacao powder
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅓ cup chocolate chips (plus more for topping)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a muffin tin with silicone liners or spray with cooking spray.
- Place applesauce, coconut oil, dates, vanilla, and coffee in the bowl of a large food processor. Blend until very smooth and creamy.
- Add almond flour, oat flour, old-fashioned oats, coconut sugar, cacao powder, baking soda, and salt. Process until well-combined, being sure not to over-mix. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Spoon mixture evenly into muffin tin. The mixture will be thick. Top with additional chocolate chips, if desired.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Cool muffins in pan for 10 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Store in the refrigerator.
Without further adieu, here are five more humbelievable almond-packed goodies for you to make right this minute!