We’re making rice! Out of broccoli.
So what’s the big hoopla with pressing tofu, anyway?
Well, when you take tofu out of the package, it’s like a big white blog in a watery mess. If you cooked it right away in that state, you would end up with that stereotypical mushy, funky looking ‘fu that everyone loves to hate. Everyone loves to hate on tofu and assume that it’s one of those foods they don’t eat, but pressing tofu gives it this wonderfully firm, almost chewy texture that’s ready to take on any flavor.
Introducing my favorite method to cook tofu:
1) Remove the tofu from the package and drain the excess water.
2) Place the tofu in a tofu press (I use the EZ tofu press) and let it drain on the counter over a baking sheet or dish (to catch the water) for a couple hours, tightening the knobs every so often.
3) Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray. Cube the drained and pressed tofu, sprinkle with salt and garlic powder and bake for 30 minutes.
Pulsing up broccoli in the food processor into little bitty bits of goodness and sautéing it in a pat of butter with garlic has to be the most genius thing that has crossed my mind in a good while.
Is it broccoli? Is it rice? It is heaven? Yes, sir.Print
Garlic Tahini Tofu & Broccoli Rice
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 45 mins
- Total Time: 55 mins
- Yield: 3 1x
- 1–16oz block extra-firm tofu, drained/pressed and cubed
- 1 head of broccoli, pulsed finely in food processor
- 1 tbsp butter or olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp salt
For the sauce:
- 3 tbsp tahini
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 large clove of garlic
- Drain and press tofu.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray and spread out cubed tofu in an even layer. Spray once more, season with salt and bake for thirty minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Pulse broccoli florets in the food processor until finely ground.
- Add broccoli to pan and sauté for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add minced garlic and salt and sauté for five more minutes.
- Combine sauce ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
- To assemble, place a large scoop of broccoli on a plate, top with tofu and drizzle with sauce.
@hummusapien on Instagram!Let me know by leaving a review or tagging