Anyone who’s anyone has a bag of cranberries chilling in their fridge or freezer, mmmmmmk?
Tis the season. And the last thing you want to make with them is more cranberry sauce. Woof.
These little gems were most definitely inspired by finals week, meaning I wanted to procrastibake instead of study for my nutrigenomics final. They’re sweetened with organic coconut palm sugar, which is an oh-so-trendy alternative to the good old white stuff because it causes a bit less of a blood sugar spike and retains a few key nutrients from the coconut palm plant. It’s also more sustainably grown and processed. Though it’s a more natural lower glycemic index sweetener, it’s still pretty much empty calories–so don’t go eating it trying to be healthy! Just like coconut oil, it’s no miracle food. It is, however, QUITE the rage right now. Trader Joe’s just even started selling it, so you know it’s the most popular sugar in all the land.
The bottom line is that though it’s a nice alternative to highly processed and refined granulated white sugar, it’s still sugar. If you don’t have any coconut sugar, feel free to use regular sugar or brown sugar. We won’t judge.
Okay, enough suga nonsense! These only require one bowl (plus a tiny bowl for the flax egg) and one spoon. They take five minutes to whip up and taste like a whole other level of fabulousness. The tart cranberries paired with the sweet chocolate chips and nutty almond butter backdrop come together to make the most dreamy little treat. And don’t you just die from that pink pop or color?? These babies are what [paleo] dreams are made of.
Treat yourself to a cookie or three. You deserve it!
Let’s bake, yo.Print
A deliciously guilt-free cookie free of flour, butter and refined sugar and loaded with fresh cranberries and chocolate chips.
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed + 3 tbsp water (or 1 large egg)
- 1/2 cup creamy almond butter (I used roasted)
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup cranberries, chopped (I used frozen)
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or grease with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the ground flaxseed and water to create “flax egg.” Set aside for five minutes to gel. Alternatively, you could use one large egg.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the almond butter, coconut sugar, vanilla, baking soda and salt. Stir until well-combined. Fold in the chopped cranberries and chocolate chips.
- Using a heaping tablespoon, drop cookies onto baking sheet. Wet hands and roll cookies into smooth balls. The dough will be very moist–that’s okay!
- Bake cookies for about 13 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes on pan before transferring to a cooling rack to cool completely.
Inspired by Delighted Momma