Friiiieeeeennnnddddsss! Oh how I’ve missed you so.
How was New Years Eve? I want to hear alllll about your cray cray resolutions! Are you gonna drink ten green smoothies a day and have easy overnight steel cut oats for brekkie every morning until 2015?? OMG me too!
Sooo the oatmeal fairy came last night.
Would you believe it if I told you that if you mixed together a bit of this and a bit of that and brought it all to a boil for a couple minutes and let it sit overnight that you’d have perfectly cooked oaties waiting for you in the morning? Believe it, sista!
Steel cut oats are the closest thing to whole oat groats. They’re less processed than old fashioned oats and much less processed than instant oats. That’s all fine and dandy until you realize that these little beauties take thirty minutes to cook and you’re all like, “I’m sorry, I must not have heard that right. Come again?”
Instead of waiting three days to get your oat fix tomorrow morning, take five minutes tonight to prep and mentally prepare yourself for oatmeal heaven in the a.m. Let me tell ya, I don’t hate waking up to the smell of sweet apple cinnamony goodness and breakfast waiting on the stove.
It’s the new year. It’s a fresh start. The time has come to say goodbye to the packaged crapola and make your own!
Everyone has five minutes. No excuses.Print
Easy Make-Ahead Apple Cinnamon Steel Cut Oatmeal
- Prep Time: 8 hours
- Cook Time: 5 mins
- Total Time: 8 hours 5 mins
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Breakfast
Prepare these apple cinnamon steel-cut oats the night before and wake up to a healthy, wholesome breakfast!
- In a medium pot over high heat, bring water to a boil.
- Once water is boiling, add oats, salt, apple, flaxseed, cinnamon and maple syrup. Boil for about two minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent overflow.
- After two minutes, remove pan from heat. The oatmeal should stop boiling. Stir in vanilla. Cover pot and allow mixture to sit overnight.
- In the morning, heat pot over medium heat to warm through. Top with additional cinnamon and maple syrup, if desired.
Adapated from Marin Mama Cooks
@hummusapien on Instagram!Let me know by leaving a review or tagging