Fluffy Banana Chickpea Muffins that are super moist, flourless and protein-packed. A kid-friendly healthy snack that's gluten free and dairy free! These are great for the lunchbox and they freeze well.
The fluff factor here is so mega! Just like my beloved healthy banana muffins and chocolate banana muffins (don't miss all my healthy muffin recipes!), these are officially added to the list of favorite snacks for both me and my sweetie toddler.
First it was chickpeas in chickpea cookie dough and now we're team chickpeas in muffins!
- Chickpeas: A can of chickpeas is the base of this wondrous recipe. Drain and rinse them well in a fine mesh sieve until there's no more foam to remove any extra chickpea flavor.
- Bananas: Use very spotty almost brown bananas for best results. This will help naturally sweet the muffins and add fab banana flavor.
- Peanut butter: I like to use natural, drippy peanut butter with peanuts and salt as the ingredients. I haven't tried it but I'd guess these would work with almond butter.
- Eggs: This helps the muffins rise. Unfortunately I don't think any egg substitutes will provide the necessary structure so I don't recommend subbing these out.
- Coconut sugar: This helps sweeten the muffins a bit. Any sugar works great. You can omit it and just use chocolate chips, or use neither for a just barely sweet muffin.
- Baking soda: For extra rise.
- Vanilla extract: To add delicious flavor.
- Salt: To bring out the sweetness and round out the flavor.
Substitutions and dietary preferences
These are naturally gluten free and dairy free!
- Egg-free: Unfortunately eggs are key for the structure and rise of this recipe as they work hand in hand with the chickpeas. For delicious egg-free muffins, try my banana muffins with flax eggs!
- Sugar: Use any dry sweetener you like, including regular granulated sugar or brown sugar!
- Nut-free: Use sunflower seed butter instead of peanut butter. (They may turn green but this is a harmless chemical reaction.)
How to make (step by step)
Drain and rinse chickpeas well. Add all ingredients except chocolate chips to a food processor.
Blend until nice and smooth, scraping the sides to get all that batter mixed. Spoon into muffin tin and bake for 25 minutes.
Do they taste like chickpeas?
I can assure you they do not! The banana and peanut butter flavors really shine through. The chickpeas provide filling fiber, plant protein and moisture without the need for extra oil or flour. Magic I tell you!
How to store
Store muffins in an air-tight container on the counter for up to 2 days and then transfer to the fridge to store for up to 5 days.
Can I freeze muffins?
Yes! These muffins freeze super well. Simply transfer cooled muffins to a freezer baggie and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge or in the microwave for 20-30 seconds.
More healthy muffin recipes
- Healthy Morning Glory Muffins
- Healthy Chocolate Muffins
- Flourless Apple Cinnamon Muffins
- Fluffy Pumpkin Muffins
Fluffy Banana Chickpea Muffins that are super moist, flourless and protein-packed! A fun kid-friendly healthy snack that's low in sugar and gluten free.
- 1 14.5oz can chickpeas, drained and well rinsed
- 2 medium very overripe bananas
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup natural peanut butter (I used salted)
- ½ cup old fashioned oats
- ⅓ cup coconut sugar*
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Optional: ½ cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and grease a muffin tin with cooking spray.
- Place all ingredients in the bowl of a food processor and blend until very smooth, scraping down the sides with a rubber spatula as needed. Fold in chocolate chips with spatula, if using.
- Using a ⅓ cup measuring cup, scoop batter evenly into muffin tin. Bake for 25 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the muffin comes out clean.
*Use ½ cup sugar for sweeter muffins.
NO ADDED SUGAR: You can omit the sugar for a barely sweet muffin, if desired. This is a great option for babies!
EGGS: This recipe won't work without eggs as they're key for structure with the chickpeas.
Keywords: chickpea muffins