Super moist and healthy Baby Banana Muffins made with oatmeal and no added sugar! Perfect for baby led weaning and a good source of iron. Toddler and parent approved! Gluten, dairy, egg, and nut free.
Baby muffins! Muffins for tiny baby hands! Itty bitty mini muffins that actually taste splendid enough for grown up taste buds, too. Hip hip hooray!
- Banana: You can use a less ripe banana for less sweet muffins or an overripe banana for sweeter muffins. It should be large enough to make half a cup of mashed banana.
- Tahini: I use sesame seed butter for an easy nut free option. You could use whatever drippy natural nut butter you like. Sunflower seed butter will also work but it will turn the muffins green.
- Baby oatmeal cereal: I always had this on hand when Max was under 1 since it's a great source of iron and iron needs skyrocket at 6 months of age. You can easily use oat flour instead if you don't have this on hand.
- Old fashioned oats: A great source of whole grains. Quick cooking oats would also work. Use certified gluten free oats if needed.
- Chia seeds: A great source of healthy omega-3 fats, chia seeds are super nutrient-rich! They also help bind these muffins. You could also add an egg for extra protein if your child tolerates egg.
- Cinnamon: Fort lovely sweetness and flavor. Exposure to different spices is great for baby!
Why you'll love these baby muffins
Made with 6 simple ingredients, these healthy nut-free muffins for baby with no added sugar come together in no time!
When it comes to baby or toddler food, we're really making sure that they're safe for swallowing (and of course delish).
As a Dietitian, making healthy baby recipes is extra fun! These...
- are nice and moist for easy and safe swallowing. And small! The texture is more dense versus fluffy.
- are low in sugar (American Academy of Pediatrics recommends limiting added sugar until age 2)
- are low in salt since babies' kidneys can;'t process salt like adults can
- contain no honey since babies under 1 cannot have honey due to potential botulism spores
How to serve
Your little one can enjoy these muffins at 6 months of age or after. (My son took longer to sit up and didn't really start eating until closer to 7 months.)
Baby led weaning takes practice and patience.
- For 6-9 month olds, you can serve mini muffins whole so baby can pick it up with the palmer grasp.
- Once baby develops the pincer grasp around 9 months, you can break the muffin up into smaller pieces.
Store these cute little muffins in an air-tight container at room temperature for up to 2 days or refrigerate them for up to a week.
Can you freeze muffins?
Yes, I freeze these all the time for meal prep. Simply freeze cooled muffins in an even layer on a baking sheet.
Once frozen, transfer them to a freezer baggie and squeeze all the air out. They'll keep for 3 months.
Pretty please let me know how this recipe turns out for you by leaving a star rating and/or comment! I hope you adore it as much as I do. Enjoy, little ones!Print
Super moist Baby Banana Oat Muffins with no added sugar! Perfect for baby led weaning and a great source of iron for little ones. Gluten, dairy, egg, and nut free. Note that the texture of these is more dense versus fluffy, making them easier to eat for babies.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a mini muffin tin. (A regular muffin tin will work too).
- Place banana in a medium mixing bowl. Mash with a fork. Add tahini and stir until smooth.
- Add oatmeal baby cereal, oats, cinnamon and chia seeds. Stir with a fork until combined. This is a thick batter.
- Spoon batter evenly into mini muffin cups. I like to use a cookie scoop, which makes scooping super easy. If using a regular muffin tin, be sure to only use enough batter to form 12 muffins (they won't be full).
- Bake for 10 minutes. Allow muffins to cool and then serve!
Use certified gluten free oat cereal and oats to make these gluten free. You could also add an egg for extra protein if your child tolerates egg!
Store in an air-tight container at room temperature for up to 2 days or refrigerate.
Keywords: baby banana muffins, healthy baby muffins