I love seeing people’s faces when they lay mouth on something that they totally would never believe was vegan until I told them straight up that it was vegan.
Yes, ma’am, it is indeed vegan. It’s the cashews, I swear! I would never lie to my precious Alchemy customers.
When I was a wee college freshman, I met a girl that was vegan. She was thin. I thought, “well of course she’s thin, all she eats is fruits and vegetables.” I was an ignorant celery stick.
Fast forward six or so years and here I stand, proud as ever to eat a primarily plant-based diet that consists of so, so much more than peas and carrots. It still astounds me the amazing things that can be created with simple fruits vegetables, nuts, beans, legumes, and whole grains.
I love being plant-based for a million reasons, but one of the reasons that tops the list is my ability to constantly be creative. It never gets boring. It’s always a challenge and it always inspires me.
When I got my lovely box last week from Door to Door Organics, it was full of…vegetables. The most beautiful, bountiful, local, organic vegetables galore. I knew I wanted to use them to make a soup that was simple, soul-warming, and decadent. We had made a really tasty one the week before at Alchemy and a bunch of customers asked for the recipe. The truth it that more often than not, we don’t use recipes. We throw in a pinch of this and an ounce of that and a couple cups of love and BOOM.
Creamy vegan cauliflower soup hayyyy!
I love roasting veggies before I add them to soup for that amazing caramelization factor. Don’t skip this step, frands!
This soup is the little black dress for the winter season. The turtleneck version of the little black dress with like…long sleeves. And mittens attached.
And maybe one of those hats with the puffy poof ball on top.
Bee tee dubs, this soup is extra amazeballs with a big hunk. Of crusty bread.
- ½ cup raw cashews
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 head cauliflower, chopped
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- A couple sprigs fresh thyme, to taste
- 1 tsp salt (more or less to taste)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Place cashews in a bowl and cover with warm water. Set aside.
- Place red onion and bell pepper on a baking sheet. Add oil and toss to coat. Bake for 20-25 minutes, stirring halfway, or until veggies are golden.
- Heat a soup pot or dutch oven over medium heat and add a drizzle of olive oil. Once hot, add carrots and celery. Saute for 5 minutes. Add garlic and cauliflower and saute for another 5 minutes. Add roasted vegetables, thyme, and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to low and simmer (covered) for about 20 minutes or until cauliflower is tender.
- Ladle a couple cups of soup into a high-speed blender. Add cashews and blend (careful, it will be hot) until completely smooth. Blend the rest of the soup in batches until smooth and creamy.
- Season with salt, pepper, and thyme to taste.
This post is sponsored by Door to Door Organics. Thanks for supporting to brands that support Hummusapien!