This crowd-pleasing Vegan Stuffed Shells recipe with the best dairy-free ricotta is a healthy spin on the classic loved by kids, meat eaters and vegans alike!
For the tofu ricotta (can be made ahead):
- 2–14oz pkg extra firm tofu, drained and pressed
- 10oz tub roasted garlic hummus (1 heaping cup)
- ½ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Handful of fresh spinach or basil plus more for topping, finely chopped
For the shells:
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Cook shells according to package directions, or about 10 minutes. Once cooked, rinse with cold water to prevent sticking.
- Remove tofu from package and press by wrapping in dish towel and squeezing water out or using a tofu press. Place in a mixing bowl and add hummus, nutritional yeast, salt, and garlic powder. Use your hands to mix together until it resembles ricotta. Gently fold in basil or spinach.
- Preheat oven to 350F and spray two large baking dishes with cooking spray. Pour enough sauce into both pans to just cover the bottom. Using your fingers, stuff tofu ricotta into shells and place in baking dish. You should have just enough to fill two pans, assuming a few shells will break. Pour remaining marinara on top.
- Cover pans with foil and bake for 25 minutes. My dishes fit next to each other in the oven. You could also put them on separate racks, switching them halfway through. Garnish with fresh basil and serve hot!
Keywords: vegan stuffed shells, healthy stuffed shells