An rustic winter kale salad packed with toasty walnuts, earthy mushrooms, lentils, and a tangy shallot dressing.
For the roasted vegetables:
- 3 small to medium russet potatoes, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped rosemary (optional, still tastes great without it!)
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
For the salad:
- 2 bunches kale (I like lacinato), stems removed and chopped into bite-size pieces
- 1 cup cooked lentils (I used Trader Joe’s pre-cooked)
For the dressing:
- 1/4 cup champagne wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup chopped shallot
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Place chopped potatoes in large bowl with rosemary, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Toss to coat. Dump potatoes on baking sheet and spread out in an even layer.
- Roast in oven for 45 minutes (or until tender), stirring halfway through. Remove from oven and add sliced mushrooms and walnuts. Bake for another 10-15 minutes, or until everything is browned.
- Meanwhile, place dressing ingredients in a blender or food processor (I used my Nutribullet) and blend until smooth.
- Dump kale into a large bowl. Add dressing and massage into leaves for about a minute (if using lacinato, massaging is not necessary.) Add lentils and baked potato mixture. Stir to combine and season with salt and pepper to taste.