This Overnight Steel Cut Oatmeal is the easiest, foolproof way to enjoy healthy steel cut oats! Spend five minutes preparing it at night and wake up to perfectly cooked oatmeal in the morning.
- Bring milk, water, oats, and pinch of salt to a boil in a large pot (I use my dutch oven).
- Let it boil for 1-2 minutes, stirring to make sure it doesn’t boil over.
- Remove from the heat (I move it to the burner behind), cover with lid, and let it sit out on the stove overnight, unrefrigerated.
- In the morning, remove lid, stir, heat, and eat! I like to top mine with nut butter and berries or butter, maple syrup, crisp apples, and salt. Store leftovers in an air-tight container in the refrigerator.
- This makes enough to feed me and Jeff for breakfast for several days. Feel free to cut in half if you’re cooking for one.
- Do not substitute old-fashioned oats. Only steel-cut will work in this recipe. (Use certified gluten-free oats if necessary.)