A soul-soothing bowl of delicious homemade vegetable soup, perfect for lunch paired with crusty bread! Super easy and flavorful.
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 medium carrots, diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 4 cups vegetable broth + 1 cup water
- 2-15oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup corn (I used thawed from frozen)
- 1-15oz can kidney beans, drained and rinsed (optional)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice, more to taste
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt, more to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Heat oil in a large dutch oven over medium-low heat. Once hot, add onion, garlic and a teaspoon of kosher salt and cook about 8 minutes. Add carrots, celery, potatoes and cook for 5 more minutes, stirring often. Add Italian seasoning and cook for one more minute.
- Add broth, water, tomatoes, corn, beans, bay leaf, and several grinds of pepper. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to low and simmer, covered until the vegetables are tender, about 35 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in parsley and lemon juice. Remove bay leaf and season to taste with salt (don't be shy, I added lots of salt!) and pepper. Serve hot with crusty bread.