A super rich and creamy Vegan Power Mac and Cheese recipe made with whole grain noodles, broccoli, and greens! Kids and adults alike will adore this wholesome one-pot meal.
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 8 oz whole grain elbow pasta (use gluten-free if necessary)
- 2 crowns broccoli, chopped into bite-size florets
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt (more to taste)
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 cups spinach (or greens of choice) chopped into ribbons
- Place cashews in a small bowl and cover with very hot water. Set aside.
- Cook pasta according to package directions. When 2-3 minutes are remaining, add broccoli. Once pasta is al dente, drain.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onion and a pinch of salt and cook for 5 minutes, or until translucent. Add garlic powder, salt, turmeric, paprika, and red pepper flakes, stirring for a minute. Carefully transfer onion mixture to a blender and add greens to pan, sautéing for a couple minutes or until wilted.
- Add the drained cashews, lemon juice, water, and nutritional yeast to blender and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Add pasta and broccoli back to pot along with sauce and toss together. Add greens and stir until combined. Taste and add salt if needed. You can serve immediately (I typically do) or pour into a 9x13in baking dish, top with 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs, and bake for 15 minutes for a crisper topping. Serve with hot sauce, if desired.