Amazingly comforting vegan gravy that comes together in no time! Amazing over mashed potatoes, shepherd’s pie, and beyond! Easily gluten free.
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 oz mushrooms, finely chopped (1 1/3 cups, I love shiitake here)
- 2 cups vegetable broth (I use Better than Bouillon)
- 3 1/2 tbsp all purpose flour (or GF all purpose flour)
- 1 1/2 tbsp soy sauce (use tamari for gluten free)
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Lots of freshly ground black pepper
- Warm olive oil in a medium pot over medium heat. Once hot, add mushrooms. Cook, stirring often, for about 7 minutes, or until mushrooms are browning.
- Meanwhile, whisk together broth and flour in a liquid measuring cup until no clumps remain. Pour into pot with mushrooms. Whisk in in soy sauce, nutritional yeast, onion and garlic powder, and several grinds of pepper.
- Bring to a gentle boil and then reduce heat to low and simmer for about 10-15 minutes, whisking often, until mixture has thickened. If you want a thicker gravy, you can whisk 1 tbsp flour with 1 tbsp water in a separate bowl and stir that into the gravy. Note that it will get much thicker as it cools. You can blend gravy in the blender once cooled if you prefer it to be smooth.
GLUTEN FREE: Use tamari instead of soy sauce and brown rice flour instead of all purpose flour.