The creamiest, healthiest Vegan Cream of Broccoli Soup there ever was...comfort food in a bowl!
- 3/4 cup raw cashews, soaked
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 20oz fresh or frozen broccoli florets, chopped (about 6-7 cups)
- 6 cups water or broth, divided
- 1-2 tsp salt (to taste) + freshly ground pepper
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- optional: 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- Place cashews in a small bowl. Cover with hot water. Soak for 20-30 minutes.
- Add oil to a large pot (I used my dutch oven) over medium high heat. Once hot, add onion and a pinch of salt and sauté for about three minutes. Add celery and carrots and sauté for another five minutes. Add garlic and broccoli and sauté for another five minutes.
- Add 5 cups water, 1 1/2 tsp salt, and pepper. Stir and bring mixture to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes.
- Drain cashews. Place cashews and 1 cup water in a blender (I used my Nutribullet). Blend until very smooth and creamy. There should be no clumps. Add to soup.
- Puree soup using an immersion blender. You can also do this in batches using a high speed blender. I like to leave some broccoli chunky for texture. Season to taste with lemon juice for brightness, salt (I use 2 tsp with water for liquid) and pepper. You can also add 1 tsp apple cider vinegar for extra tang. I like to add nutritional yeast for umami and cheesy flavor!
Keywords: vegan broccoli soup