The creamiest, healthiest Vegan Cream of Broccoli Soup there ever was…comfort food in a bowl!
- Place cashews in a small bowl. Cover with water. Soak for at least 30 minutes, or overnight. (I brewed water in a tea kettle, poured the boiling water over the cashews, and let them soak for 15 minutes. If you have a high-speed blender, they won’t need to soak long.)
- Add oil to a large pot (I used my dutch oven) over medium high heat. Once hot, add onion and a pinch of salt and sauté for about three minutes. Add celery and carrots and sauté for another five minutes. Add garlic and broccoli and sauté for another five minutes.
- Add 5 cups water, salt, and pepper. Stir and bring mixture to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes.
- Drain cashews. Place cashews and 1 cup water in a blender (I used my Nutribullet). Blend until very smooth and creamy. There should be no clumps. Set the cashew cream aside.
- Puree soup using a large blender or immersion blender. You’ll likely have to do this in batches.
- Once soup is pureed, stir in cashew cream. Season to taste with additional salt and pepper, if desired.