Crowd favorite Vegan Caesar Salad with Kale and Brussels Sprouts, made with crunchy croutons and an irresistible cashew caesar dressing!
For the salad:
- 1 bunch kale (I used purple), de-stemmed and sliced into ribbons
- 12 oz Brussels sprouts, trimmed, halved and very thinly sliced or shredded
- 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced red cabbage or radicchio
- Optional add-ins: 1/2 cup toasted walnuts
For the caesar dressing:
- 3/4 cup raw cashews
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 6 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup water (more to thin if needed)
- 1 1/2 tsp dijon
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp capers
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Lots of freshly ground black pepper
For the rosemary croutons:
- 1 heaping cup stale/crusty bread, cut into cubes (I used defrosted from frozen multigrain bread)
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp each dried rosemary, garlic powder, and kosher salt
- Place cup cashews in a small bowl. Cover with boiling water.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Place bread cubes on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a Silipat. Add oil, spices, and salt tossing to combine. Bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, chop the Brussels, kale, and cabbage and place in a large mixing bowl. (If you have a mandolin or shredding attachment on your food processor, feel free to use for the Brussels and cabbage.)
- Drain and rinse cashews. Combine dressing ingredients in a blender (I used my nutribullet) and blend until very smooth and creamy. Taste and adjust if needed.
- To serve, place veggies and as much dressing as desired in a mixing bowl and toss thoroughly so everything is coated, massaging the dresses into the kale. Top with croutons just before serving. If you're only eating a portion, toss a small amount and keep the rest separate in the fridge and combine just before serving. Dressing will thicken as it sits in the fridge, so add water if needed. I love this shaker bottle for leftover dressing!