Brighten your morning with these tasty and healthy Vegan Apple Buckwheat Pancakes topped with cinnamon sugar apples! An 100% whole grain, gluten-free and kid-friendly recipe.
For the pancakes
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed + 6 tbsp water
- 1 cup Pamela's buckwheat pancake mix
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted (or oil of choice)
- 1/2 cup apple cider (can sub almond milk)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- dash of nutmeg
For the topping:
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 medium apples cored and diced
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- Coconut whipped cream and pure maple syrup, for topping if desired
- Stir together flax and water in a small bowl. Set aside to gel for 5 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, stir together pancake mix, coconut oil, apple cider, almond milk, cinnamon, and flax mixture until just combined. It should be thick. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt coconut oil for topping in a medium skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add apples, sautéing for about 5 minutes or until softened. Add sugar, cinnamon and salt, stirring for a couple more minutes until combined. Set aside.
- Heat pancake skillet sprayed with cooking spray over medium heat. Once hot, add 1/4 cup of pancake batter at a time. Once several bubbles form and bottom is set, flip and cook another couple minutes or until set (they should be easy to flip). Repeat with the rest of batter.
- Serve with apple mixture, pure maple syrup, and coconut whipped cream.