Brighten your morning with these tasty and healthy Vegan Apple Buckwheat Pancakes topped with cinnamon sugar apples. An 100% whole grain, gluten-free and kid-friendly recipe!
Sprouting is the coolest thing since sliced bread.
Literally. It’s like sliced bread’s cooler older cousin, all full of bio-available protein and enzymes and such. We all have that cousin.
Guess what? Sprouting preceded sliced bread. You see, grains are technically the seeds of plants. When temperature and moisture conditions are juuuuuust right, seeds germinate and grow into brand new plants. Why does that matter, you ask? It matters because the plant you’re left with is a more easily digestable grain with readily available vitamins, minerals, fiber, amino acids, and all that jazz.
There’s tons of research documenting the array of health benefits resulting from this natural sprouting process, from sprouted brown rice fighting diabetes to sprouted barley decreasing blood pressure. Another fun fact is that those with grain sensitivities (which in today’s world is like the whole population) may be able to better tolerate sprouted grains.
Basically sprouting is all that and a bag of chips.
Now lettuce talk pancakes! Truth be told, I told post a ton of pancake recipes because I usually don’t make them from scratch. Why? Because there are so many dreamy mixes out there! Work smarter not harder.
Pamela’s is a staple in the Hummus kitchen because a) it make my brunch dreams a reality and b) it’s made with ingredients I know and love, like organic sprouted buckwheat flour and brown rice flour. They have a few different varieties to choose from in the new sprouted pancake mix line, like 6 grain and grain-free. Truly something for every taste bud!
I’m a sucker for buckwheat, but they’re all delish. Think of these Vegan Apple Buckwheat Pancakes as traditional buckwheat pancakes with a sexy sprouted makeover!
P.S. The apple topping could be in a meal in itself—it’s that nommy. Try to save some for the pancakes!
Brunch is life.Print
Brighten your morning with these tasty and healthy Vegan Apple Buckwheat Pancakes topped with cinnamon sugar apples! An 100% whole grain, gluten-free and kid-friendly recipe.
For the pancakes
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed + 6 tbsp water
- 1 cup Pamela’s buckwheat pancake mix
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted (or oil of choice)
- 1/2 cup apple cider (can sub almond milk)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- dash of nutmeg
For the topping:
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 medium apples cored and diced
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- Coconut whipped cream and pure maple syrup, for topping if desired
- Stir together flax and water in a small bowl. Set aside to gel for 5 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, stir together pancake mix, coconut oil, apple cider, almond milk, cinnamon, and flax mixture until just combined. It should be thick. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt coconut oil for topping in a medium skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add apples, sautéing for about 5 minutes or until softened. Add sugar, cinnamon and salt, stirring for a couple more minutes until combined. Set aside.
- Heat pancake skillet sprayed with cooking spray over medium heat. Once hot, add 1/4 cup of pancake batter at a time. Once several bubbles form and bottom is set, flip and cook another couple minutes or until set (they should be easy to flip). Repeat with the rest of batter.
- Serve with apple mixture, pure maple syrup, and coconut whipped cream.
This post is sponsored by Pamela’s. All opinions are 100% my won. Thanks for supporting the brands that make Hummusapien possible!