Cooking sweet potatoes in the slow cooker makes them extra moist and sweet! Top with black beans, corn, avocado, spices, and smoky cashew cream for an easy vegan and gluten-free meal.
For the sweet potatoes:
- 4 medium sweet potatoes (about 7 ounces each)
- 1/2 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup corn, fresh or frozen
- 1/3 cup canned tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp chopped scallions
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro
For the smoky cashew cream:
- 1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked for 30 minutes
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 1–2 tsp hot sauce
- Wash and dry sweet potatoes. Place them in slow cooker, cover, and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours (mine were done after a bit less than 3 hours on high).
- Place cashews in a bowl of warm water to soak.
- In a medium bowl, combine the black beans, corn, tomato sauce, scallions, cumin, cayenne, and salt.
- Drain cashews and place in high-speed blender (I used my Nutribullet) with the rest of the cashew cream ingredients, blending until smooth. Season to taste and set aside.
- Remove the potatoes from the slow cooker and cut each lengthwise 3/4 the way through. Pull apart to create opening and gently mash flesh with a fork. Divide the bean filling among the potatoes and gently mix it into the potato flesh.
- Top potatoes with avocado, cilantro, and cashew cream.
Lightly adapted from the Skinnytaste Fast and Slow cookbook by Gina Homolka