These chocolate peppermint bites are moist, delicious, and healthy–high in fiber and protein, low in fat, and perfect for the holiday season! Paleo (non-protein version) and vegan-friendly.
For the protein powder version:
- 9 Medjool dates, pitted (place in bowl of warm water first if hard and dry)
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ¼ cup + 2–3 tbsp almond milk
- 1/4 tsp peppermint extract
- ½ cup coconut flour (I used Trader Joe’s brand)
- 2 tbsp cacao powder
- 1 scoop (30g) vanilla brown rice protein powder (I like Vega Vanilla Protein + Greens)
- 2 tbsp cacao nibs or chocolate chips (optional)
For the non-protein powder (paleo) version:
- Place dates, applesauce, almond milk, vanilla, and peppermint in a large food processor. Blend until pureed, scraping down the sides as needed.
- Add coconut flour, brown rice protein (is using first recipe), and cacao powder. Blend until a ball of “dough” forms.It should look moist, not crumbly. If it’s too wet, add a bit more coconut flour. If it’s too dry, add a bit more almond milk.
- Stir in cacao nibs. Roll into about 15 bites.
- Store in the refrigerator or freezer.