- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 stalks of celery, diced
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 1 cup dry lentils (not red), rinsed and picked over
- 4 cups vegetables broth + 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp coriander
- 1 large potato, dixed (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 bunch kale, ribs removed and chopped finely (or half a bag of thawed from frozen kale)
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat olive oil in a heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat. Add onion, celery and carrots and sauté until softened, about ten minutes.
- Add lentils, broth, water, salt, garlic, cumin and coriander. Stir together and bring to a boil. Once soup has reached a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer, covered for 20 minutes.
- Add chopped potatoes and simmer, covered for 15 more minutes or until potatoes are fork tender.
- Add kale and simmer, covered for 5 more minutes, or until kale is wilted.
- Remove from heat and stir in red wine vinegar. Season to taste with salt and pepper.