This creamy Healthy Green Bean Casserole is the absolute best! It tastes just like the classic and is the star of the table. You'd never never guess it's vegan!
- Heaping 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 3 medium onions, divided
- 3 tbsp bread crumbs
- 3 tbsp flour (all purpose, whole wheat, etc)
- 2 1/4 tsp fine sea salt (divided) + freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 lbs frozen green beans
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 16oz sliced mushrooms, chopped
- Pinch ground nutmeg (optional)
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/4 cup dry white wine (can sub broth)
- Grease a 9x13 inch or 3qt baking dish with cooking spray and set aside. Place cashews in a small bowl and cover with hot water. Set aside to soak for 30 minutes or up to overnight. (If you have a Nutribullet or high speed blender, 10 minutes is fine.)
- Preheat oven to 425F and spray a baking sheet or line with parchment paper. Thinly slice two of the onions and dice one onion, setting aside the diced for later. In a large bowl, add sliced onions, bread crumbs, flour and 3/4 tsp salt. Toss to combine, separating each onion piece.
- Spread onions in an even layer on baking sheet. Bake for about 20-25 minutes, tossing halfway through. Watch carefully to make sure they don't burn towards the end. Once done, remove from oven and lower heat to 350F.
- Bring a large pot with two inches of water to a boil. Once boiling, add green beans. Bring back to a boil (this may take a while) and cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes, or until tender. Drain and run cold water over green beans to stop cooking. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Once hot, add diced onion and cook for 5 minutes. Add garlic and mushrooms and cook for another 10 minutes, stirring often. Add nutmeg, soy sauce, white wine, 1 1/2 tsp salt, and pepper. (It will taste salty, that's ok!). Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Drain and rinse cashews. Place in blender with 1/2 cup water and blend until completely smooth and creamy. Add cashew cream and a fourth of the baked onions to mushroom mixture along with cooked green beans, stirring to combine.
- Transfer mixture into prepared dish. Top with remaining baked onions. Bake at 350F for 20 minutes (if onions are on the crispier side, you can cover with foil for first half of cooking.) Serve hot!
MAKE AHEAD: Make the green beans and the sauce up to one day in advance and store separately in the refrigerator. We won't make the onion topping until the day of so it's not soggy. The next day, prepare the onion topping. Meanwhile, reheat the sauce in a large skillet. Combine sauce and beans, per the step 6 of the recipe instructions. Proceed with the rest of the recipe and bake!
GLUTEN FREE: Use certified gluten free flour, bread crumbs, and tamari instead of soy sauce.
Keywords: healthy green bean. casserole, vegan green bean casserole