The most epically moist and delicious Healthy Chai-Spiced Carrot Banana Bread loaded with warming spices and topped with the most amazing cream cheese frosting. 100% whole grain and vegan!
For the bread:
- 2 tbsp ground flax + 6 tbsp water
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 cup grated carrots (2 large carrots)
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour*
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp cardamom
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 1/2 cups mashed banana (3 medium, very over-ripe bananas)
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar (or cane sugar or 1/3 cup maple syrup)
- 2 tbsp almond milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans, plus more for topping
For the cream cheese frosting:
- 1/3 cup cream cheese of choice, softened (I used homemade vegan cashew cream cheese)
- 1/3 cup organic powdered sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 5x9inch loaf pan.
- In a small bowl, stir together flax and water. Set aside to thicken. Melt coconut oil in a small bowl and set aside to cool. Grate carrots and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, spices, and salt.
- In a medium bowl, stir together mashed banana, grated carrot, sugar, coconut oil, milk, vanilla extract, and flax mixture.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and stir until just combined, being careful not to over-mix. Gently fold in pecans. Pour into prepared baking dish and bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes, covering with foil after 50 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make frosting by beating together cream cheese, powdered sugar, and vanilla (I used a hand mixer) in a medium bowl until smooth.
- Remove bread from oven and cool in pan for 15 minutes. Remove from pan and let cool completely on wire rack. When bread has cooled, spread with frosting and top with a sprinkling of pecans. Slice and serve!
*For a gluten-free version, readers have had success with substituting 2 cups 1:1 GF baking flour OR 1 1/2 cups GF baking flour + 1/2 cup almond meal.