Tender, moist, and sweet, these lightly sweetened healthy Blueberry Orange Muffins are delicious for breakfast or as an afternoon pick-me-up! An easy, kid-friendly, vegan-friendly recipe.
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed + 6 tbsp water (can sub 2 eggs)
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp pure maple syrup (use 3/4 cup for sweeter muffin)
- 1/2 cup vanilla yogurt of choice (use coconut or almond yogurt for dairy-free)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice (I used navel oranges)
- 1 tbsp orange zest, packed (zest of 2 oranges)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- Preheat oven to 400F. Spray a 12-cup muffin tin with cooking spray.
- Place ground flax and water in a small bowl. Stir and set aside.
- Measure flour by spooning it into the measuring cup and leveling it off. Combine flours, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. Place blueberries in another bowl and toss with 2 tbsp of the flour mixture to avoid sinking.
- In another mixing bowl, combine flax mixture, maple syrup, olive oil, yogurt, orange juice, orange zest, and vanilla. Fold wet mixture into dry mixture until just combined. Don’t over-mix! Fold in blueberries.
- Spoon mixture 3/4 way full into greased muffin tin. I baked the extra batter in a small dish for a little breakfast bake!
- Bake for about 16-18 minutes or until a fork comes out clean. Cool for 20 minutes before carefully transferring muffins to a wire cooling rack to cool completely. I like serving mine with butter or Earth Balance and a drizzle of honey!