Vegan and gluten-free Raspberry Thumbprint Cookies made with almond flour are a soft, perfectly sweet treat made with wholesome ingredients!
For the raspberry chia jam (can be made ahead of time, you’ll have plenty leftover):
- 2 cups frozen raspberries
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 3 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
For the cookies:
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silipat.
- In a medium pot over low heat, stir together raspberries, chia seeds, and maple syrup. Bring to a gentle boil and simmer, uncovered, on low for about 10 minutes (stirring frequently) until it thickens. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Pour into a bowl and place in freezer to cool (you can also refrigerate if you're making ahead).
- In a small bowl, stir together flax and water to make a “flax egg.” Set aside to gel for 5 minutes.
- Place almond flour, coconut sugar, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl, whisking to combine. (Alternatively, you can blitz everything together in the food processor). Add flax egg, coconut oil, vanilla extract, and almond extract, stirring to combine. You should have a smooth dough that’s slightly sticky and easy to form into balls.
- Use a cookie scoop to portion dough into 1 inch balls. Place 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheet and gently flatten cookies with hands (they won’t spread much while baking.) Use your thumb to make a small indentation in each cookie. Fill each cookie with 1/2 tsp chia jam.
- Bake for 11 minutes. Allow cookies to cool on the pan for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
Adapted from my Ginger Snap Cookies.
You could also use store-bought, raspberry, strawberry, blueberry, or apricot jam!