Easy 8-ingredient Gluten Free Apple Muffins made with no oil or refined sugar. Moist, fluffy and flourless with 6g of protein per muffin.
- 1 cup creamy natural salted peanut butter*
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup or honey*
- 1 medium apple, diced small (1 1/2 cups, I like Honeycrisp)
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp fine sea salt (1/2 tsp if peanut butter is unsalted)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease a muffin tin liberally with cooking spray or line with paper liners/silicone baking cups.
- Whisk together all ingredients except chopped apple in a large mixing bowl. You can also blend all ingredients in a food processor or high-speed blender. Fold in apple.
- Divide batter evenly into muffin tin, filling each to the the top. Bake for 22-25 minutes (mine took 24 minutes), or until a knife comes out clean. Allow muffins cool for at least 20 minutes before removing from the pan and cooling on a wire rack.
*You can omit the sweetener if you want a less sweet muffin with no added sugar. You can also sub overripe mashed banana for the applesauce!
STORAGE: Store muffins on the counter in an air-tight container for up to 3 days and then store in the refrigerator or freezer.
NUT BUTTER: Your peanut butter should be the drippy kind that easily pours into the measuring cup, and not refrigerated. Almond butter or cashew butter will also work. Use sunflower seed butter for nut free. If your peanut butter is not salted, use 1/2 tsp fine sea salt.
VEGAN: I have not tried these with egg replacer. I'd guess they'd taste great but will not rise the same.
For more classic apple muffins made with flour, try the muffin version of my Apple Cinnamon Swirl Bread!