Dairy-free stuffed peppers loaded with veggies and creamy cashew enchilada sauce.
For the stuffed peppers:
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 8oz red enchilada sauce (I love Frontera)
- 4 large bell peppers
- 2 cups frozen spinach, thawed + water squeezed out
- 1 heaping cup cooked quinoa (I used frozen)
- 1-15oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup grated sweet potato (about 1/2 medium sweet potato)
- 1/2 cup chunky salsa (I love Frog Ranch medium salsa)
- 1/2 cup corn
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
For the avocado cream:
- 1 avocado
- juice 1 lime
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup unsweetened, unflavored almond milk
- Preheat oven to 375F. Spray an 8x8in baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- Place cashews in a bowl and cover with very hot water. Set aside.
- Trim the tops off each pepper (try to cut near the top) and gently remove the white membranes inside the peppers. Save tops. Place peppers cut side up in baking dish. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Meanwhile, gather the tops of the peppers and chop leftover pepper (excluding stem) into small pieces. Set aside 1/2 cup and discard the rest.
- Drain cashews. Place in blender/food processor (I used my Nutribullet) with enchilada sauce and 1/2 cup chopped peppers. Blend until completely smooth and creamy.
- In a large bowl, combine spinach, quinoa, black beans, grated sweet potato, salsa, corn, salt, garlic powder, cumin and cayenne, stirring to combine. Stir in cashew enchilada sauce.
- Divide mixture evenly into bell peppers. Bake for 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the avocado cream ingredients in a blender and blend until completely smooth. Drizzle over peppers prior to serving.