Fluffy whole wheat orange pancakes packed with bright citrus flavor paired with a luxurious maple tahini syrup. A hearty and healthy breakfast the whole family will adore!
For the pancakes:
- 3 tbsp melted unsalted butter (or non-dairy buttery spread)
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 3 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt*
- 3/4 cup 100% orange juice
- 1 tsp grated orange zest
- 1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1 large egg
For the maple tahini syrup:
- Place butter in a small bowl and microwave in 20 second intervals until melted. Set aside to cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and and salt.
- Measure orange juice and milk in a liquid measuring cup. Add orange zest, egg and melted butter and whisk until smooth. Pour into dry ingredients and mix just until combined, being careful not to over-mix the batter. Lumps are ok!
- Warm a pat of butter or oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add 1/3 cup of batter to skillet, repeating as needed. Cook for 2-3 minutes per side, flipping once bubbles start to form and cooking 1-2 minutes or until golden.
- To make syrup, whisk together maple syrup and tahini in a small bowl. Serve pancakes topped with tahini syrup and fresh fruit like raspberries or pomegranate!
*If using salted butter, you may want to reduce to 1/2 tsp salt. I used unsalted butter and a full teaspoon of kosher salt and thought they were great, but others have commented that they're salty! If you use fine sea salt, use 1/2 tsp.
You can keep pancakes warm between batches in a 200 degree F oven if desired.
To freeze, lay pancakes in a single layer on a parchment-lined baking sheet and place in the freezer. Once they're frozen, transfer to a baggie and store for up to two months. You can reheat them from frozen in the toaster!
Keywords: whole wheat pancakes