A summery mason jar salad featuring a delicious white bean basil mix, fresh veggies, whole grain spelt berries, and an herbed vinaigrette. It’s the perfect light, healthy, plant-powered lunch!
For the dressing:
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, packed
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley (stems are fine), packed
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tsp pure maple syrup
- 3/4 tsp salt
- lots of freshly ground black pepper
For the white bean salad:
- 2 cans cannelini beans or chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 medium bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1/3 cup fresh parsely, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- Pinch of salt and pepper
For the other layers:
- 3/4 cup dry wheat berries or spelt berries, cooked (sub quinoa for gluten-free)
- 3/4 cup shredded carrots (optjonal)
- 1 cup grape or cherry tomatoes, chopped
- 5oz pkg arugula (or greens of choice)
- Cook grain of choice according to package directions. Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, place dressing ingredients in a blender (I used my Nutribullet). Dump into a large mixing bowl. Add cannellini beans, celery, bell pepper, red onion, herbs, and a good pinch of salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Portion bean salad evenly into 5 mason jars. Next portion the cooked wheat berries into jars, followed by carrots, tomatoes, and arugula.
- Once ready to eat, shake and dump into a large bowl.