The best Sweet Potato Chili, packed with bold flavor. Smoky, savory, and sweet, this healthy vegetarian chili is perfect for cool nights and tastes amazing the next day. Serve with cornbread!
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 medium sweet potato, chopped
- 1 jalapeño, seeds and membranes removed, diced
- 2 1/2 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp fine sea salt + lots of freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2-14oz cans diced tomatoes, with juices
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2-14oz cans kidney or black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup vegetable broth or water
- For garnish: shredded cheddar cheese, cornbread, tortilla chips, avocado
- Add olive oil to a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Once hot, add onion and a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook 3 minutes, or until softened.
- Add garlic, pepper, carrot, sweet potato, and jalapeño. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add chili powder, cocoa, cumin, smoked paprika, oregano, 1/2 tsp salt, and pepper. Cook for another minute.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste, beans, and broth or water. Stir and bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to medium low.
- Simmer, uncovered, for about 50 minutes or until sweet potatoes are tender. You can add more liquid to thin if you like. Season to taste (I add another 1 tsp for 1 1/2 tsp total when using water). A squeeze of lime juice or hot sauce is great too. Serve with your favorite toppings!
Keywords: sweet potato chili