This delicious vegetarian chili is packed with hearty beans, warming spices, and a couple secret ingredients for a super flavorful and healthy meatless meal. Serve with cornbread!
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 large carrot, finely diced
- 1 large stalk celery, finely diced
- 1 jalapeño, diced (remove seeds if you don’t like spice)
- 2 1/2 tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp salt + black pepper, to taste
- 1–28oz can diced tomatoes, with juices
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2–15oz cans beans (I used pinto and black beans) drained and rinsed
- Add olive oil to a large pot or dutch oven over medium heat. Once hot, add onion and a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook for about five minutes.
- Add pepper, carrot, celery, and jalapeño and cook for another five minutes. Add chili powder, cocoa powder, cumin, smoked paprika, oregano, salt, and pepper. Cook for about a minute.
- Add diced tomatoes, tomato paste, and beans, stirring to combine. Bring mixture to a boil then reduce heat to medium low and simmer (there should be tiny bubbles), uncovered for at least 30 minutes or ideally two hours for the most flavor. Serve with crunchy corn chips or cornbread and sliced jalapeños if desired.