Amazingly creamy Vegan Tortilla Soup with black beans, poblano peppers, and decadent cheezy flavor. Hearty, filling, and so satisfying!
- 1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 poblano peppers, de-seeded and chopped (1 cup)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast (can sub 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese if not vegan)
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes (do not rinse)
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup medium salsa
- 4 corn tortillas*
- 1/3 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1-2 tbsp fresh lime juice (from 1 small lime), to taste
- 1 tsp salt and freshly ground black pepper, more to to taste
- Tortilla chips, for garnish
- Place cashews in a small bowl. Cover with hot water and set aside to soak for 30 minutes or up to 4 hours.
- Warm oil in a Dutch oven or large pot. Once hot, add onion and poblano peppers. Sauté for 5-7 minutes, or until softened, stirring often. Add garlic, coriander, chili powder, and cumin and sauté for another 30 seconds.
- Add nutritional yeast, broth, tomatoes, and beans and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.
- While the soup heats up, drain and rinse cashews. Place in a blender (I used my Nutribullet) with salsa, tortillas, and 1 1/4 cups of the soup broth (be careful to allow mixture to cool before blending if needed). Blend until completely smooth and creamy. If it's too thick, add more broth.
- Once soup is done simmering, remove from heat and stir in cashew mixture, cilantro, and plenty of salt and pepper to taste. I used low sodium broth and a heaping 1 1/2 tsp fine sea salt. Add a squeeze of lime juice and taste for brightness. The flavors should really pop! Ladle into bowls and top with more cilantro and plenty of crushed tortilla chips for crunch.
*Do not use flour tortillas or an alternative tortilla that isn't corn or the flavor and texture will not be the same. Corn tortillas are essential for flavor.
If you're not vegan, this soup is also excellent topped with shredded cheddar cheese. My husband added chicken and loved it!
TO STORE: Store any leftovers in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to four days.
TO FREEZE: Transfer soup to a freezer-safe container and store in the freezer for up to three months.