The best vegan tacos with chickpea pecan “meat,” cabbage slaw, and avocado crema stuffed all stuffed in sweet potatoes! The perfect healthy meatless meal for the whole family.
For the sweet potatoes:
- 4–6 medium sweet potatoes, baked (alternatively, you can use taco shells of choice)
For the cilantro lime slaw:
- 1 small head red cabbage, shredded (about 5 cups)
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1/2 tsp salt (or to taste)
- 1 tsp pure maple syrup (can sub honey)
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
For the cilantro lime crema:
- 2 medium ripe avocados
- 1/2 cup cilantro, packed
- 3 tbsp lime juice
- 3 tbsp water (more if needed to blend)
- 1/4 tsp garlic power
- 1/4 tsp salt
For the taco filling (this makes a lot, feel free to cut in half)
- 2–15oz cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- Heaping 1/2 cup pecans (or walnuts)
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 4 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup water
- sliced jalapeños, salsa, hot sauce
- Preheat oven to 400F. Pierce sweet potatoes several times with a fork. Place on lined baking sheet and bake for about an hour or longer, until fork tender.
- Meanwhile, place slaw ingredients in a medium bowl, stirring to combine. Season to taste with salt. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Place all the cream ingredients in a blender (I used my nutribullet) and blend until completely smooth and creamy. Set aside.
- Place one can of chickpeas and half the pecans in a large food processor. Pulse for about 5-10 seconds or until finely chopped (not mushy, but well combined). It should look “meaty.” Dump into a bowl. Repeat with remaining chickpeas and nuts. Add spices and stir until combined.
- Heat a large skillet sprayed with cooking spray over medium heat. Once hot, add chickpea mixture and water to moisten. Cook for a few minutes, or until heated through.
- Assemble slicing sweet potatoes length-wise and layering taco meat, slaw, crema, and toppings. Serve warm!