Incredibly easy, moist, and fluffy Vegan Skillet Jalapeño Cornbread! So delicious that you’d never guess it was healthy!
- 1 tbsp ground flax seeds + 3 tbsp water
- 1 1/4 cups almond milk + 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/4 cups whole grain cornmeal
- 3/4 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar or organic brown sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted (plus 1 tbsp for skillet)
- 2 small jalapeños, seeds/membranes removed and finely chopped
- 1 cup corn kernels (I used TJ’s roasted corn)
- Preheat oven to 400F. While it’s heating, place 1 tbsp coconut oil in a 9 or 10inch cast iron skillet (or metal baking pan) and put skillet in oven.
- Mix together the flax and water in a medium mixing bowl and set aside. Add almond milk and vinegar to a liquid measuring cup and set aside.
- Whisk together all the dry ingredients (cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt) in a large mixing bowl. Add almond milk mixture, flax mixture, and coconut oil, stirring until just combined. Do not over-mix; lumps are ok!
- Use a rubber spatula to gently fold in in jalapeños and corn.
- When the oven is preheated, use oven mitts to remove hot skillet. Add cornbread batter (it should sizzle) and make sure it is evenly distributed. Bake for about 20 minutes or until a fork comes out clean. Let cornbread sit for 20 minutes before slicing.