Hearty and filling Vegan Shepherd’s pie, packed with veggies and topped with creamy mashed potatoes. Cozy comfort food at its finest! Serve with Cozy Vegan Gravy.
For the filling:
- 1 tbsp Carlini Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 16oz sliced mushrooms
- 1 lb frozen Simply Nature Organic Mixed Vegetables (green beans, carrots, peas, corn)
- 3 tbsp Happy Harvest Tomato Paste
- 1 1/2 cups Simply Nature Organic Vegetable Broth
- 2 tbsp Fusia Asian Inspirations Reduced Sodium Soy Sauce
- 1 1/2 tsp Stonemill Rosemary Leaves (dried)
- 1 1/2 tsp Simply Nature Organic Thyme Leaves (dried)
- 1–15oz can Simply Nature Organic Garbanzo Beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp Baker’s Corner All Purpose Flour
- 3/4 tsp fine sea salt + lots of freshly ground black pepper
For the mashed potatoes:
- 24oz Tasteful Selections Honey Gold Potatoes* (4 cups, no need to peel)
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- 1/2 tsp Stonemill Garlic Powder
- 1/2 cup Friendly Farms Unsweetened Original Almondmilk
- 2 tbsp Carlini Extra Virgin Olive Oil (or butter if not vegan)
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions (optional)
- Place potatoes in a medium pot. Add cold water until they’re covered by a couple inches. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium low and boil for about 18 minutes, or until very fork tender. Drain and return to pot. Add milk, oil, salt, garlic powder and a few grinds of pepper. Use a potato masher to mash until smooth. Stir in green onions, taste, and adjust seasoning if needed (I added another 1/4 tsp salt).
- Meanwhile, warm olive oil in a very large oven-proof skillet** (I used a 3.5 qt braiser) over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook for 3 minutes, stirring often. Add mushrooms and cook for 13 minutes, stirring often, until very soft and starting to brown.
- Stir in frozen veggies and tomato paste stir until warmed through. Stir in broth, soy sauce, rosemary and thyme.
- Preheat oven to 375F. Sprinkle mixture with flour and simmer for a few more minutes, or until thickened. Lightly mash chickpeas with your hands or a potato masher and add to pan. Season liberally to taste with salt and pepper.
- Spoon potatoes onto veggie mixture and use a spatula to smooth it out. Sprinkle with thyme and bake for 15 minutes. You can broil it at the end for extra browning, if you like!
*I prefer baby gold potatoes because they’re so creamy and you don’t have to chop or peel them; however you can use russet potatoes also. You may need more butter for creaminess.
**I like to cook this in my 3.5 qt cast iron braiser, but if you don’t have an oven-safe skillet, you can use whatever pan you have and then transfer it to an 8×8 inch baking dish prior to baking.
GLUTEN FREE: Use gluten free all purpose flour and tamari for the soy sauce.