Easy Vegan Pesto made with walnuts that tastes amazing on pasta, veggies, grains, potatoes, sandwiches and beyond. Dairy free, quick to make, and delicious!
- 2 cups basil, packed (2oz)
- 1/3 cup walnuts*
- 2 tbsp hemp seeds (can sub more walnuts)
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt, to taste
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2-3 tbsp water
- Place all ingredients except oil and water in a food processor. Pulse several times, until ingredients are broken down, using a rubber spatula to scrape the sides.
- Stream in olive oil and blend again to combine. Add water to desired thinness. Taste and adjust salt if needed.
*You can also use pine nuts. Make sure your walnuts are fresh and stored in the refrigerator to prevent them going rancid. If the pesto has a bitter taste, it means either your walnuts have gone bad or you've over blended the pesto!
Store leftovers in an air-tight container for up to a week. Add a spritz of lemon as needed to brighten it up again.
You can also freeze leftovers in an ice cube tray and defrost it as needed. It should last 1-3 months.