The BEST vegan meatball subs! Loaded with beans, Italian spices, and marinara on a toasty bun. Vegan, gluten-free, and kid-friendly!
For the vegan meatballs:
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed + 3 tbsp water
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 8 oz sliced mushrooms
- 3 large cloves garlic
- 1/2 medium onion, sliced
- 1–15oz can pinto beans or chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 3/4 tsp salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3/4 cup Italian-style breadcrumbs (I used Italian-style gluten-free panko)
- 1 1/2 cups marinara sauce (plus more if desired)
- 1 package hot dog buns (gluten-free if necessary)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Place walnuts and mushrooms on lined/sprayed baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes. Once done, remove from oven and leave oven on.
- Combine flax and water in a small bowl, stir, and set aside.
- Place garlic and onion in food processor and pulse a few times until chopped. Add beans, Italian seasoning, nutritional yeast, salt, pepper, and cooked mushrooms and walnuts (they will be hot, that’s okay) and pulse until everything is chopped and mixture will hold together. There should be some texture– it shouldn’t look pureed.
- Dump mixture into a bowl and stir in flax mixture and bread crumbs.
- Roll mixture into 20 balls (a bit larger than a golf ball). Place on baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes. Flip and bake for another 20 minutes.
- Place three balls on each buns (toasted if desired) and top with 1/4 cup marinara. You’ll have a couple bean balls leftover.
- Serving Size: 1 bun + 3 bean balls + 1/4 cup sauce
- Calories: 404
- Sugar: 9g
- Sodium: 1061mg
- Fat: 14g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Unsaturated Fat: 7g
- Trans Fat: 0mg
- Carbohydrates: 60g
- Fiber: 10g
- Protein: 13g
- Cholesterol: 0mg