Bake this easy Tart Cherry Crumble Pie for your next summer party! Made with a foolproof whole grain crust and packed with homemade tart cherry filling.
For the crust (or use a prepared pie crust):
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar (can sub regular sugar)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup melted and cooled coconut oil
- 1/4 cup cold water
For the filling:
- 2 pounds frozen Montmorency tart cherries (about 4 cups)
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar (can sub regular sugar)
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
For the crumble:
- Preheat oven to 350F. Spray a 9 inch cast iron skillet or pie pan with cooking spray.
- Make crust by adding flour, sugar, and salt to a mixing bowl. Whisk together oil in water in a separate bowl. Pour wet mixture into dry and stir until a dough ball forms.
- Press dough into pan until it’s evenly spread on bottom and up sides. Set aside.
- Make crumble by combining oats, flour, almonds, coconut sugar, and salt in a mixing bowl. Add coconut oil to mixture and using your fingers, break up any large pieces, until it’s well combined.
- Make filling by combining cherries, sugar, and cornstarch in a bowl, stirring until combined.
- Dump cherry mixture into prepared pan, sprinkling all the extra cornstarch and sugar mixture remaining in the bowl onto the cherries. Crumble oat mixture over the top. If using pie pan, place baking sheet lined with foil.
- Bake for 1 hour 15 minutes. Let cool completely on a rack prior to slicing. Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!