Sweet Potato Black Bean Bowls with Mango Tahini Sauce make a colorful and tasty plant-powered dinner packed with nutrition! Vegan and gluten-free.
For the bowls:
- 1 15oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, diced
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt + freshly ground pepper
- 4 cups chopped and de-stemmed kale, packed (about 5oz)
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1/3 cup chopped green onions, for garnish
For the mango tahini sauce:
- 3 tbsp tahini
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 ripe mango, diced or 1 cup defrosted from frozen mango*
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp water
- 1 1/2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp mild curry powder
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt + freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silipat.
- Place black beans and sweet potatoes in a large bowl. Toss with coconut oil, 1/2 tsp salt and several grinds of pepper. Spread onto baking sheet and arrange in an even layer. Roast for 25 minutes (or until sweet potatoes are tender), tossing halfway through.
- Meanwhile, place tahini, olive oil, mango, 1/2 cup of the water, apple cider vinegar, curry powder, salt and a few grinds of pepper in a blender (I use my Nutribullet). Blend until smooth, adding more water as needed (I did another 2 tbsp). You may need to add more water depending on how thick your tahini is. You should be able to drizzle the sauce with a spoon. Season to taste with another pinch of salt or a splash of maple syrup if needed to balance the flavors.
- Place kale in the bowl you used for the beans and sweet potatoes. Massage 1/4 cup of the mango sauce and a good pinch of salt and pepper into the leaves, until slightly wilted.
- Assemble bowls by placing a scoop of rice in the bottom of the bowl followed by a handful of the dressed kale, then the bean and sweet potato mixture. Top liberally with mango sauce and garnish with green onion, if desired.
*If using frozen mango, be sure to fully defrost it in the microwave or over the stove prior to blending.
INSTANT POT: Place 1 cup brown rice, 1 1/4 cups water, and 1/2 tsp salt in the pot. Cook on Manual/High Pressure for 10 minutes and then let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes. Release any additional steam, open lid, and fluff with fork.
STORAGE: Store leftovers separately in the fridge in air-tight containers for up to three days. Assemble right before serving.
Keywords: black bean bowls