Vegetarian Spinach and Mushroom Herb Stuffing full of color, texture, and savory flavors that will have everyone coming back for seconds, meat-eaters and vegetarians alike! Make ahead instructions included.
- 2 large onions, diced
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 8oz sliced mushrooms (I used Baby Bella)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil + 2 tbsp, divided (or melted butter)
- 2 tbsp fresh chopped sage
- 2 tbsp fresh chopped rosemary
- 2 tbsp fresh chopped thyme
- 1/3 cup chopped parsley
- 1-5oz bag baby spinach
- 8 cups toasted bread cubes
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp fine sea salt
- Lots of freshly ground black pepper
- Grease a 13x9x2-inch or 3 qt baking dish. Place 2 tbsp oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms and a pinch of salt and pepper. Sauté until mushrooms are nice and browned, about 8 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl.
- Place 1/4 cup oil in same skillet. Add onions and celery plus a pinch of salt. Sauté until tender, about 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350°F. If your bread needs toasting, place cubes on lined baking sheet and bake until bread is crusty, about 10-15 minutes. Transfer to large bowl to cool.
- Once onions are tender, add herbs and sauté for another minute. Add spinach and cook for a few minutes more, or until wilted.
- In a small bowl or liquid measuring cup, whisk broth (start with 1 1/2 cups), eggs, salt, and pepper. Add egg mixture and vegetable mixture to bowl with bread, tossing to combine. My bread was pretty crunchy, so I added another 1/2 cup of broth for 2 cups total. Use less for softer bread. It should be nice and moist but not at all soupy. Spoon mixture into baking dish.
- Cover with foil and bake for 40 minutes. Remove foil and bake for another 15 minutes. Garnish with fresh parsley.
STORAGE: Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
TO MAKE AHEAD: You can prepare this the day before and store unbaked in the fridge, tightly covered. If you want it more advance than that, I would recommend baking and freezing it.
TO FREEZE: Prepare the stuffing, bake it, then freeze the cooled, covered stuffing. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight and bake before serving per the recipe.