For the spaghetti squash:
- 1 medium spaghetti squash
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- freshly ground pepper
For the tomato sauce:
- 1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked
- 1–15 oz can diced fire roasted tomatoes
- 1/4 cup basil leaves, chopped
- 2 tbsp water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- red pepper flakes, optional
- Place cashews in a bowl and cover with water. Allow them to soak for at least 2 hours or overnight. (I bring water to a boil in a tea kettle, cover the cashews with the hot water, and let them soak for 30 minutes when I’m in a hurry.)
- Preheat oven to 375F. Slice spaghetti squash in half. Scoop out seeds and stringy flesh with a spoon. Rub a teaspoon of olive oil over each half (inside, not outside). Rub with garlic and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place face down on a baking sheet and bake for 35 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the sauce ingredients in a blender and blend until completely smooth and creamy. Set aside.
- Use a fork to shred the spaghetti squash into strands. Heat a pan over medium heat. Place squash in a pan and cover with sauce (I used about 2/3 of the sauce and saved the rest). Toss to combine until warmed through.
- Top with fresh basil and red pepper flakes prior to serving.