Easy 7 ingredient Skillet Cornbread! The perfect mix of sweet and salty, this moist and fluffy cornbread recipe with brown butter crust is incredible. Enjoy with chili or with butter and honey! If you don't have a skillet, you can make this recipe in an 8x8 inch baking dish.
- 1 1/4 cups milk + 2 tsp apple cider vinegar (I used almond milk)
- 1 1/4 cups yellow cornmeal
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar (can sub honey or maple syrup)
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt (use 3/4 tsp if you're using table salt or fine sea salt)
- 1/3 cup + 1 tbsp unsalted butter*, divided
- 2 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 400F. While oven is warming up, place 1 tbsp butter in a 9 or 10-inch cast iron skillet (or metal baking pan) and place skillet in oven.
- Stir together milk and vinegar in a liquid measuring cup and set aside. In a small bowl, melt remaining 1/3 cup butter (I microwave for 1 minute).
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Whisk eggs into milk mixture followed by melted butter. (It's ok if butter solidifies.)
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients. Stir just until you don't see big clumps of flour. Do not over-mix!
- Use oven mitts to remove hot skillet. Swirl the butter around. Carefully add cornbread batter (it should sizzle) and make sure it's evenly distributed. Use oven mitts to return it to the oven and bake for about 18-20 minutes, or until a knife comes out clean. Let cornbread cool on a wire rack for 20 minutes before cutting into squares or slices.
*If using salted butter, decrease salt to 3/4 tsp.
Keywords: skillet cornbread