Easy, festive Shaved Brussels Sprout Salad with crisp apples, salty parmesan and a creamy, tangy walnut dressing! The perfect healthy lunch side dish for holiday gatherings. Try addding chickpeas or salmon to make it a full meal!
For the salad:
- 10oz shaved Brussels sprouts* (about 5 cups, I use Trader Joe's pre-shaved)
- 1/3 cup shaved or grated Parmesan (can sub feta or pecorino)
- 1/3 cup dried cherries (or dried cranberries)
- 1 medium apple, chopped (Fuji, Gala or Honeycrisp)
- 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped and toasted
For the dressing:
- 1/4 cup walnuts, soaked
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup water
- juice of 1 large lemon
- 2 tsp honey or maple syrup
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp each fine salt and black pepper
- Place 1/4 cup walnuts for dressing in a small bowl and cover with water. Let them soak while you make the salad.
- Toast walnuts for salad: place 1/4 cup walnuts in a skillet and cook over medium heat, stirring often, for about 5 minutes (or until fragrant).
- Place Brussels sprouts in a large mixing bowl. Add cheese, dried cherries, apple, and toasted walnuts.
- Make dressing: drain walnuts and place in a blender (I use my Nutribullet) with olive oil, water, lemon juice, honey, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Drizzle dressing over salad and toss well to combine. Season to taste with more salt and pepper if desired. The flavor of this salad is best after it sits for an hour or so, but you can serve immediately or refrigerate for later.
*You can shave the food processor with shredding attachment or with a sharp knife (remove woody ends then thinly slice).