Flavorful Portobello Fajitas packed with veggies for the perfect healthy weeknight meal the whole family will love. Serve with guacamole, salsa, cheese and crunchy tortilla chips!
For the vegetables:
- 3 bell peppers, sliced
- 1 medium onion, sliced (reserve the other half for keeping guacamole green!*)
- 2 large portobello mushrooms, de-stemmed and gills removed (6oz)
- 2 tsp mild chili powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lime, juiced (2 tbsp)
- 2 tbsp avocado oil, plus more for cooking
For assembly + topping ideas:
- small corn or flour tortillas
- toppings: guacamole, pineapple salsa, freshly grated cheddar cheese, hot sauce
- Place sliced peppers, onions, and portobellos in a large mixing bowl. Add chili powder, salt, oregano, garlic powder, cumin, red pepper flakes and several grinds of black pepper to a small bowl. Stir to combine. Add lime juice, 1 tbsp of oil, and spices to vegetables and toss well with tongs to evenly coat.
- Heat a large skillet (I like cast iron) over medium high heat. Add a drizzle of oil. Once hot, add vegetables. Cook for about 10 minutes, stirring as needed but letting them sit on pan for a couple minutes at a time without stirring for a nice char. (Alternatively, you can cook veggies on a large baking sheet at 425F for about 35 minutes, stirring halfway.)
- Warm tortillas either in the microwave or on the stove. Divide veggies between tortillas and top with your favorite toppings. My go-to is guacamole, salsa, cheddar cheese, and hot sauce. Crunchy tortilla chips on the side or refried beans for extra protein are also great!
- If you made guacamole, place leftovers in a small container and top with a thick round of raw onion. Anything under the onion will stay green!
- My husband loves these with chicken or shrimp. We double the spice mixture and marinate 1 lb chicken or shrimp with the same spices, lime juice, and oil as the veggies.