Tall and fluffy Orange Muffins bursting with citrus flavor from fresh orange juice and zest. Made with whole grain flour and yogurt for super delicious and healthier spin on morning muffins! Recipe yields 10 muffins.
- 1 3/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour (can sub all-purpose)
- 2/3 cup organic cane sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- zest of 2 medium oranges (1 tbsp or more)
- heaping 1/2 cup plain yogurt*
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/3 cup avocado oil, melted coconut oil, or olive oil
- 2 large eggs, ideally at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 425°F and grease a muffin tin.
- Stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- In a medium bowl or liquid measuring cup, whisk together yogurt, oil, orange juice, vanilla, and eggs. Stir in zest.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, stirring with a wooden spoon just until combined. Lumps are ok!
- Spoon batter evenly into 10 muffin cups. Sprinkle each muffin with 1/4 tsp of sugar for a crunchy exterior, if desired. Bake for 8 minutes at 425°F and then reduce the heat to 350°F (keeping muffins in oven) and bake for another 10 minutes, or until a fork comes out clean. Cool muffins in tin for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool. You may need to run a knife along the edge of the muffin tin to help loosen them out. These are fab topped with my Cream Cheese Frosting!
STORAGE: Store muffins in a tightly covered container at room temperature for up to 2 days, or in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Freeze muffins for up to 3 months.
*YOGURT: I recommend 2% or whole yogurt for a richer, more moist muffin. Regular, Greek, and non-dairy all work.
VEGAN OPTION: You can replace the eggs with flax eggs (2 tbsp ground flaxseed + 6 tbsp warm water mixed together in a small bowl) but I would recommend increasing the oil to 1/2 cup to make up for the fat lost.
GLUTEN FREE OPTION: You can sub an all purpose gluten free flour.
Keywords: orange muffins, healthy orange muffins