These Morning Glory Baked Oatmeal Bars are a tasty, filling, nutrient-dense breakfast packed with whole grains and warm fall flavors. They also make a great grab-and go snack that’s kid-approved! Vegan and gluten-free.
- 1/3 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 tbsp ground flax + 3 tbsp water
- 2 1/2 cups old-fashioned oats (certified gluten-free if necessary)
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar (can sub brown sugar)
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup mashed overripe banana (2 large bananas)
- 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup diced apple (use a large apple and save the leftovers for topping)
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots (I used Kroger’s pre-shredded kind)
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries or raisins
- Preheat oven to 350F. Spread walnuts on a lined baking sheet. Bake for 7-8 minutes, or until golden and toasty. Set aside.
- Spray an 8×8 inch baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- Place flax and water in a small bowl, stirring to combine. Set aside to gel for 5 minutes.
- Place 1/2 cup oats in a blender or food processor (I used my Nutribullet). Blend until it resembles flour. Dump into a large mixing bowl and stir in remaining 2 cups of oats, coconut sugar, cinnamon, salt, and toasted walnuts.
- Mash bananas in a separate medium mixing bowl. Add almond milk, applesauce, vanilla, and flax mixture. Mix well then fold in apple, carrot, and cranberries. Pour wet mixture into dry and stir until just combined.
- Pour into prepared dish. Top with thinly sliced apple if desired and bake for about about 40 minutes.
- Slice into 9 pieces. Top with pure maple syrup, nut butter, or toppings of choice. Eat room temp as a snack bar or heat in microwave for a quick breakfast!
- Serving Size: 1 bar
- Calories: 190
- Sugar: 14g
- Sodium: 90mg
- Fat: 5g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Unsaturated Fat: 4g
- Carbohydrates: 34g
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 4g
- Cholesterol: 0mg