Gorgeous Mediterranean Chickpea and Farro Salad packed with bright vegetables, herbs, and feta plus a delicious dressing. A great lunch or potluck salad for a crowd that gets better as it sits in the fridge! This recipe makes A LOT, so feel free to cut it in half.
- 1 1/4 cups farro
- 2 bell peppers (I like orange and yellow here), diced
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 cup fresh parsley*, chopped
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives, chopped
- 3/4 cup julienne-style sun-dried tomatoes (not oil packed)
- 3.5 oz feta cheese
- 1 15oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 batch Italian Dressing
- Cook farro according to the package directions. Once it's done, drain any excess water and transfer to a medium bowl. Place bowl in the freezer for at least 20 minutes to expedite cooling while you finish prepping.
- Meanwhile, make the dressing. Place bell peppers, parsley, onion, olives, sun-dried tomatoes, and chickpeas in a large mixing bowl. Crumble on the feta (I like to use a block of feta that I crumble for the best flavor).
- Add the cooled farro and dressing and toss everything to combine. Serve chilled, as the flavor will get even better once it's sat in the refrigerator!
*In addition to parsley, I love adding a big handful of fresh chopped basil and dill if I have them on hand!
COOKING FARRO: Cooking times vary depending on the type of farro. Pearled takes 15-20 minutes, semi-pearled 25-30 minutes, and whole 40 minutes.
TO MAKE GLUTEN FREE: Sub quinoa or brown rice for the farro.