Amazing moist and fluffy Healthy Zucchini Muffins! Whole grain and sweetened with coconut sugar. Freezer friendly plus easily made vegan! These are fab topped with my Cream Cheese Frosting.
- 1 3/4 cups white whole wheat flour (can sub all-purpose)
- 2/3 cup coconut sugar (or light brown sugar)
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt (I used Greek yogurt)
- 1/3 cup avocado oil or melted coconut oil
- 1/4 cup milk (I used almond milk)
- 1 large egg
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups fresh grated zucchini (1 medium zucchini, about 7 ounces. Do not squeeze out water.)
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar (for sprinkling)
- Preheat the oven to 425°F and grease a muffin tin.
- Stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- In a medium bowl or liquid measuring cup, whisk together yogurt, oil, milk, vanilla, and egg. Stir in zucchini.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, stirring with a wooden spoon just until combined. The mixture will be thick. Gently fold in chocolate chips and walnuts, being careful not to over-mix the batter.
- Spoon batter evenly into 12 muffin cups. Sprinkle each muffin with 1/4 tsp of sugar for a crunchy exterior, if desired. Top with additional chocolate chips. Bake for 8 minutes at 425°F and then reduce the heat to 350°F (keeping muffins in oven) and bake for another 13-14 minutes, or until a knife comes out clean. Cool muffins in tin for 15 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
TO MAKE DAIRY FREE: Use non-dairy yogurt and milk.
TO MAKE VEGAN: Use non-dairy yogurt and milk and a flax egg.
TO MAKE GLUTEN-FREE: Use an all-purpose gluten-free flour. I have not tested this recipe with almond flour. Coconut flour will not work.