Super moist Vegan Gingerbread with Maple Glaze is the perfect treat for chilly winter days! Made with pumpkin, whole wheat flour and sweetened with molasses and pure maple syrup.
For the gingerbread:
- 2 tbsp ground flax + 6 tbsp water
- 1/2 cup almond milk + 1 tsp vinegar or lemon juice
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour (or all purpose)
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 3 tbsp vegan butter, melted (or coconut oil)
For the maple glaze:
- 1/4 cup organic powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 tbsp softened vegan butter
- 1-2 tsp almond milk (more if needed)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 5x9inch loaf pan.
- In a medium mixing bowl, stir together flax and water. Set aside to thicken. Meanwhile, whisk almond milk and vinegar in a liquid measuring cup. Set aside.
- In a large mixingbowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, ginger, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, and salt.
- To the bowl with flax, add pumpkin, molasses, maple syrup, melted butter, vanilla, and milk. Whisk to combine. Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and stir until just combined, being careful not to over-mix. Pour into prepared baking dish. Bake for one hour.
- Meanwhile, make the glaze by whisking together all the glaze ingredients. Let bread cool for 30 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. Once cooled, drizzle with glaze.
TO STORE: Keep bread on countertop in an air-tight container for up to three days. If you still have some left, you can store in the fridge.
TO FREEZE: It freezes very well. Wrap the loaf tightly in foil then in a plastic bag with the air squeezed out. It will stay fresh for up to four months. You can thaw it on the counter when you’re ready to eat
Keywords: healthy gingerbread, vegan gingerbread