The most deliciously chewy Peppermint Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats made with whole food ingredients, perfect for the holidays! Vegan and gluten-free.
- 4 cups crispy brown rice cereal
- 1/2 cup brown rice syrup*
- 1/2 cup SunButter
- 1/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (dairy-free for vegan)
- 1/2 tsp peppermint extract
- 1 cups mini marshmallows, divided (Dandee’s vegan if desired)
- Line a 9-inch square baking dish with parchment or wax paper. Set aside.
- Place cereal in a large mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Place brown rice syrup in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil and let it boil for about a minute (this helps the treats stick together). Remove from heat and stir in SunButter, chocolate chips, and peppermint extract (I like to use a wooden spoon).
- Pour the liquid mixture over cereal, stirring to coat everything. Fold in 1/2 cup marshmallows.
- Press the mixture very firmly and tightly into the prepared pan (I use a wooden spoon sprayed with cooking spray). Press remaining 1/2 cup marshmallows into bars.
- Allow the bars to cool for at least an hour before slicing. You can refrigerate or freeze to speed up cooling.
- Store in a sealed container in the fridge.